There are people that are always confident when they communicate: they look comfortable when they speak, their voices are strong and audible and their body . However, for many people, this requires a lot of effort, including preparation, practice and experience. Many people comment to me that “It’s easy for you!” but believe me, it takes years of practice to appear an overnight success!
So I wanted to share my 5 top tips to being confident when you speak. Then you will appear to be a star and overnight success!
- Do some research; if you are going to a meeting, make sure you know what the agenda is, who the other people are in the meeting etc.
- Take time to work out what you are going to say; this could be in response to the agenda, but also personal points you wish to make.
- If you are giving a presentation, remember to practice; become familiar with what you are saying and use the slides to be a memory trigger for where you are.
- Check your technical equipment – arrive early to check the slides and microphone work. Check where to stand. Practice getting onto the stage.
- Give yourself permission to be nervous before you speak. This is perfectly normal and it means you care about it. Give yourself time to take some deep breaths and feel relaxed before you go to speak.
Good luck. Do let me know how you get on and if you have any questions do contact us. [form form-1]