Here are 5 reasons for supporting Pride Month. Pride month is celebrated throughout June to celebrate Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month. It is celebrated annually in June to honour the 1969 Stonewall riots. It highlights the work to achieve equal justice and equal opportunity for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ+) Part of SuperStar Communicator’s values are that everyone should be valued and included. As well as the LGBTQ+ community, we also support people from other underrepresented groups. But Pride month focuses on the LGBTQ+ community and we support this month. Here are 5 reasons to support Pride Month:
- To celebrate the progress that has been made for LGBTQ+ rights. In the last few years, a lot of work has been achieved, ensuring people from this community are included, treated well and respected in communities and in business. Of course there is still more work to do; but celebrating where we are as a society now, is so important.
- To raise awareness of the challenges that LGBTQ+ people still face. Pride Month is also a time to raise awareness of the challenges that LGBTQ+ people still face. In many countries, LGBTQ+ people are still discriminated against, and they may face violence, harassment, or even death because of their sexual orientation or gender identity. This month raises awareness of the challenges people from this community still face and to support them.
- To educate others about LGBTQ+ issues. Pride Month is a time to educate others about LGBTQ+ issues. Understanding rather than listening to myths is so important for us to support each other as human beings.
- To empower LGBTQ+ people. Pride Month is a time to empower LGBTQ+ people. More than anything: showing everyone that people from this community are human beings too. Instead of stereotyping, misrepresenting or even accusing people from this community of wrongdoing.
- To have fun! Pride Month is a time to have fun! There are many Pride events and festivals that take place around the world, and they are a great way to celebrate LGBTQ+ culture and community. Honestly, these events are such fun; full of joy and laughter. Don’t miss!
However, supporting Pride month should NEVER exclude any other underrepresented group. The International charity OXFAM has unwisely created a Pride Month video which was derogatory about women and especially TERFS: (trans-exclusionary radicle feminists). It was shocking and quite correctly was vilified. The most recent internal training has stated that “Privileged White Women” are the problem – despite there being a problem with MEN within the OXFAM organisation exploiting vulnerable women in Haiti. You can read an enlightening article from Janice Turner in the Times here.