The client wanted to improve the virtual presentation skills of their employees. As well as there being hybrid working at the company, they were doing far more client and prospect meetings virtually. As well as practicing speaking virtually, they were keen to include simple methods and structures for approaching virtual communication.
What we did:
Prior to the training, we had detailed meetings with the client to establish what outcomes they wanted from the work. We also asked all of the attendees what current challenges they had and what they wanted out of the course too. This meant the course was tailored. We were aware that this course would be delivered virtually, so wanted to avoid attendees being fatigued by constantly being trained virtually, so we included individual learning, so we could switch off screens.
- Pre-training learning, with a video and pre-learning to prepare the attendees
- Appreciating there is a difference between face to face and virtual presentations for both the presenter and the audience.
- Speaking more briefly and at “Headline Level” in order to really engage and keep the attention of the attendees
- How to use the skills learnt to communicate more effectively when working in hybrid teams. This includes managing meetings to include everyone and not excluding people dialling in remotely.
- Basic technical considerations to ensure the audience engages with the presenters. Highlighting what additional tech should be provided by the employer for employees working remotely – such as mobile WIFI and an up to date LapTop
- The use of summaries to avoid overwhelming the audience with too much information
As a result of the training, the attendees all felt more confident about having external conversations with prospects and clients. There have already been successful pitches for work; something that the company largely avoided beforehand. However, communication internally – which is now largely hybrid is more effective. Employees who were working remotely now feel more confident in their presentation skills. The managers reported that their teams are working and communicating more effectively resulting in increased efficiency.
What the client said:
There are many professionals who claim to be able to help you to improve your professional speaking skills. Susan is one of the few who really can! I attended a one day course that she ran and was blown away by how much she shared with, how much I learnt and how much she helped me. She guided me through plan a new Keynote with which I’ve been struggling. She showed me how to build stories into my talk, to really bring it to life. She gave me ideas for audiences who will pay to hear me speak, that I had not considered. It was a really full day and also a really fun day. A brilliant investment. Thank you Susan!
SuperStar Communicator delivers a range of virtual and face to face workshops on Virtual and real life presentation skills. If you would like to discuss your training requirements, please book a call.