Here is why presenting virtually is an essential skill for all businesses. Business has changed in the last 2 1/2 years. The pandemic forced businesses to work and communicate virtually. Clients are used to meeting suppliers virtually. However, we need to be excellent on virtual presenting skills to make a positive mark.
Whilst we are now arranging to meet some clients and prospects face to face, I have noticed that many meetings are still taking place virtually. Of course these are practical for overseas clients and also those who are located a distance away. It has highlighted important business communication trends.
It has highlighted important business communication trends
We have identified key trends and the importance of making sure your virtual presentation skills are outstanding.
- People are used to having virtual conversations. We were forced to use virtual communication during the pandemic in 2020. Businesses had no choice but to use virtual communication internally. This is now the norm, especially as so many people still work remotely.
- People are used to buying online Before the pandemic, many people were used to buying from retail units and shops. But home deliveries during the lockdowns and more trust parting with money online has increased. This has implications for B to B businesses as well as those selling to consumers.
- People are used to the convenience of virtual meetings The working world has changed. Rather like picking up the phone – but seeing each other, is now considered quite normal.
- For environmentally aware businesses, this reduces travel implications In a world where petrol costs are high and we all are conscious of running sustainable businesses, NOT travelling to all meetings is a bonus.
- There are financial and time benefits of virtual communication. Many businesses have seen that there are so many benefits from NOT travelling to meetings and being able to schedule work more effectively.
Why excellent virtual presentation skills are crucial.
We have a culture of using virtual platforms for meetings, but more importantly, we are still using these platforms for communication. However, our clients are no longer forgiving when there is a technical problem. Only last week, I had an initial meeting with a potential client and there was a tech problem at my end. It put me in a weak position and the first impression wasn’t good! Our virtual presentation skills must be up to scratch in order to make a positive impact and impression.
Here are three points to consider to improve your virtual presentations.
- Trust. For Business to Business transactions, a secure shopping site is generally NOT what is needed. Some transactions are very high and building a business relationship is crucial. Relying on digital alone, without speaking to people is a genuine error in many areas of business. We build trust by building good business relationships. As many decisions are now being made without meeting clients face to face, having excellent virtual presentation skills is crucial.
- Credibility. I mentioned before, that virtual errors such as a poorly lit room or poor sound are no longer forgiven. We have to be present and making a positive impact as soon as we start the meeting.
- Confident communication. Knowing the differences between face to face communication; techniques in getting your point across effectively and with impact: and having awareness of the person you are speaking to are all specific skills we have to polish in order to be effective virtual communicators.
We offer a range of options for virtual presentation skills: face to face workshops, virtual workshops, and individual coaching. If you would like more information or to book a call: here is the link. We’re here to help!