We were delighted that our founder, Susan Heaton-Wright, received recognition at the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, as a successful Alumna.
In the Alumni Magazine, Fanfare approached Susan, to be featured as a successful and inspirational aluma in their ‘spotlight’ part of the magazine. This is a huge honour. Susan studied opera performance from 1994-96 and went on to be a professional singer internationally, before retiring and starting other businesses. Here is the article.
In the article Susan highlights her career as a professional singer, but also her portfolio career as a professional musician before she became an entrepreneur and business owner.
Throughout her career Susan has always built on her experience and expertise to become the successful business owner she is now. It can be very easy to dismiss a music degree: particularly one in performance, to be less valuable than a degree like engineering or computer science, but as Susan demonstrates, every experience is valuable.
The feedback she has received from the article and in particular, the recognition at the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire has been amazing. We are living in a very challenging world for creative freelancers and performers, and certainly these times are creating serious poverty for many talented individuals.
But the article also allowed Susan to highlight some important points she has learnt from her career journey. These include:
- You have to work hard to be successful.
- Grab every opportunity you can and make the most of every one of these opportunities.
- Luck does play a part in this; but you can make your own luck by being present; by being reliable and respectful of others.
- It is a privilege to perform and make music. Always remember the client is the person paying you. Showing respect; being polite and pleasant to work with GOES A LONG WAY
- Marketing on a regular basis: contacting people not exclusively posting on social media, is very important. Although it is lovely to have the phone call, you are more likely to get these calls if others know about you!
If you would like to know more about what Superstar Communicator does, go to our About us page.