Here are 5 reasons why storytelling is useful in meetings. So often in meetings there is a sharing of data; opinions; complex information. Guess what happens? Even the brightest mind will wander. Our brains get very tired from the language heavy information.
But our brains don’t like gaps in information and we replace this with what we thought we heard. If you ever attend a very complicated meeting, I will guarantee that everyone’s brain will switch off at some point. And everyone’s brain will fill that information with what they thought was discussed. If we were to ask everyone what was discussed – there will be as many versions of the agenda as people attending.
This is where stories come into meetings communication. Stories are a very powerful way to share information; build trust and connection. Here are the 5 reasons.
- It engages and captures attention. Stories are inherently interesting, and they can help to keep people’s attention during a meeting. This is especially important in today’s world, where people are constantly bombarded with information. And it is less likely that minds will wander.
- It helps to build relationships. When you share a story, you are inviting people to connect with you on a personal level. This can help to build trust and rapport, which can be essential for effective teamwork.
- It can help to clarify complex ideas. Stories can help to make complex ideas more understandable by providing context and meaning. This can be especially helpful when you are trying to explain a new product or service, or when you are trying to get people to see things from a different perspective.
- It can be used to persuade and motivate. Stories can be a powerful tool for persuasion. When you tell a story that resonates with people, you can tap into their emotions and get them to take action. This can be a great way to motivate your team to achieve a goal.
- It can help to create a shared sense of purpose. When you share a story about the company’s history or mission, you can help to create a shared sense of purpose among your team members. This can help to foster a sense of belonging and commitment, which can be essential for success.
We do a range of facilitated workshops, masterclasses and speeches: Virtual and face to face delivery. These include Storytelling for Business. If you would like more information on the work we do please contact us or email email@example.com or